Monday, October 5, 2009

Artsy-Fartsy

When we first starting dating, The Rev used to tease me about being "artsy-fartsy." Actually, I think his term was "hoitey-toitey", but it amounted to the same thing, in his mind. (They're two very different things, but that's an argument for another post.)

Incidentally, he learned how very not hoitey-toitey I am when he took me to a very expensive restaurant in a museum, and I couldn't find anything on the menu I even wanted to try and eat. I ended up eating a muffin from a vendor's cart.

However, I do love the arts. (Even if I once convinced my fine arts professor that hockey was a cultural event for me, since I'm Canadian.)

In high school, I was blessed to be able to go to Paris. I fell in love with the city--the crepes with Nutella, the architecture, the Seine, the pastries, and of course, the musees. The Musee D'Orsay in particular was one of my favourites. I found a painting there that I could not take my eyes off of. Over the years, I'd forgotten the name of it, but finally today I unearthed it thanks to the magic of Google.



It may not strike you at first, but imagine coming around a corner and seeing this...bigger, of course. The light is what captured me and my (non-religious, as it happened) friend who was with me.

As much as I love words, I can't come up with any that convey what this picture does. Check out www.jeanleongerome.org for yourself--you can see a bigger version of the painting, as well as some of his other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment