Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Of Mice And Me

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have learned about my foray into the world of gum paste. If you're not harbouring a (not so) secret ambition to be a pastry chef/Mom/musician/photographer/whatever I want to be these days, you might not be familiar with gum paste.

My first batch was....less than successful. I'm still not sure why. But, I followed age-old advice and tried, tried again. And came up with a workable batch of gum paste. GP is similar to fondant, but can be rolled thinner, and dries harder for decorations.

And, it tastes awful. (So they tell me. I'm too afraid to try it.) Unlike the new recipe for fondant I found, which actually tastes pretty good. (Tip: store-bought fondant has a tendency to taste like plastic.)

So, I coloured my gum paste, 'cuz I'm cool like that, and then last night, while The Rev enjoyed his Monday Night Football, I made these little guys:





These furry gummy woodland creatures are going to adorn my biggest cake decorating feat yet.
But for that, you'll have to wait and see.
(As will I. I mean, who know how that will turn out????)


1 comment: