Friday, October 2, 2009

Kitchen Lessons

When we were unpacking from our move, the kitchen was all mine. There was no question that The Rev would even poke his handsome head in while his Missus was organizing. It was a foregone conclusion that this area was my domain, and the best he could help was by keeping Wiggle Man occupied as far from my kitchen as was reasonable.

If you know me, you know that this is as much my choice as it is The Rev's. He's actually one of those enlightened gentlemen that will cook and clean. (His Mama taught him well, what can I say?) However, I enjoy the kitchen, and had been looking forward to arranging it to my tastes.

Well, The Rev did poke his handsome head in every once and a while--just to see how things were going, of course. He was surprised to see I had doubles of various kitchen gadgets, and got a laugh out of my multiples. I'll admit, they might seem a little strange--two garlic presses, two sets of measuring spoons, two zesters...it looks like I went a little nuts in a kitchen store. And maybe I did.

But I'm learning that the things I have two of are the gadgets that I use a lot. I mean, a lot. So often, that while one zester will be in the dishwasher waiting for it's spa day, I will find I have something else that requires zesting. So it's handy to have more than one floating around.

There are other gadgets that are missing in my kitchen, because frankly, I never use them. I don't think I've used a melon baller ever. You may use your all the time, but never use a zester, which I find I need two of.

Do you see where I'm going with this? (Probably, because you're all very smart.)

The things I have and use are oftentimes very different from your tools. Why? Simple--we're different people. But (for the most part, anyway) I have the tools I need, and you have yours.

God's good like that, isn't He? He gave me music, because He knew how much I would need it. He gave me writing, so I could pour my thoughts out here, instead of yammering on at people all the time. He gave me the Rev and Wiggle Man, because He knew how much they would help me be the woman He wants me to be.

Maybe He gave you numbers. Auntie LaLa is great with numbers in a way that boggles my mind. Maybe, like a new friend of mine, you are fabulous at making newcomers feel welcome. Maybe you make a killer mac and cheese.

Today is as good a day as any to take a look in your kitchen, and see what gadgets you have laying around. You might as well make something yummy using them.

Personally, I'm in the mood for pie.

1 comment:

  1. OK, new sight bookmarked!!

    I would be terrified to see what my kitchen holds in the deep pits of the drawers... maybe in the next few years I will have to take the plunge...

    ReplyDelete